Recent infill development uses a variety of strategies to break down the street facade, including the following:
– develop a ‘podium’ to differentiate the mixed-use components.
– use a limited palette of materials and rigorous window pattern to develop the facade.
– use a variety of materials to create the illusion of modulation.
The preferred scheme proposes the following strategies:
– provide a high quality material on the ground-level and upper stories to avoid the ‘podium’, visually connecting the building to the ground and enhancing the pedestrian experience.
– create actual modulation to provide break down the facade.
– use a simple material palette to differentiate the modulation and balance the overall composition.
– reinforce the modulation with a window palette that provides visual interest.